Over the next few days we’re going to take a look at seven skills I truly believe any good manager or management trainee should strive to develop. This particular skill set will ensure you have the ability to perform your job functions while at the same time communicating effectively with your team.
Without further delay, please consider:
• Technical skills – will allow you to actually accomplish your job.
• Interpersonal skills –will enable you to communicate with other people.
• Conceptual skills – give you the ability to see the overall picture and goals of your organization.
• Diagnostic skills – give you the ability to assess and react to individual situations.
• Communication skills – relate closely to interpersonal skills and allow you to both relay and receive thoughts and ideas.
• Decision-Making skills – allow you to recognize problems and effectively identify and decide on a plan of action.
• Time-Management skills – allow you to organize, prioritize, and delegate work in the most effective manner possible.
As a manager, it’s often difficult to juggle your individual tasks with your management roles. Each and every day involves a series of interruptions as you are challenged by your scheduled tasks, surprise meetings, unexpected phone calls, staffing concerns, and other unpredictable occurrences.
Each of the skill sets we are going to explore is important in and of itself. An effective manager will be able to mold each of these skill sets together, thus allowing him to not only guide his team, but complete his own day-to-day tasks with as much efficiency and as little stress as possible.
We’ll go into further detail on each throughout the coming week. Stay tuned.
(Image courtesy of Stuart Miles at FreeDigitalPhotos.Net)
Mark Williams is a learning and development professional, using business psychology and multiple intelligences to create fascinating and quickly-identifiable learning initiatives in the real-world business setting. Mark’s role at MTD is to ensure that our training is leading edge, and works closely with our trainers to develop the best learning experiences for all people on learning programmes. Mark designs and delivers training programmes for businesses both small and large and strives to ensure that MTD’s clients are receiving the very best training, support and services that will really make a difference to their business.