Ideas For Your Leadership Skills Training
Managing the process is not enough for the modern-day leader. You need to have excellent people skills to drive the performance of your teams through creating an engaging and agile working environment.
We’ve highlighted some different leadership topics below as an example of what can be covered. Just select what you need for your in-house programme or if you’re looking for an open course for just one person then our Essential Management Skills Training can help.
Below are indicative training topics.
Select which ones you would like to make up your course or tell us what you need.
Leadership Development Programme Content Examples
- What is your role?
- What’s your leadership style?
- The difference between leadership and management, and the need for each of them
- Range of best leadership styles – their use and potential impacts on individuals and outputs
- Identification, development and appropriate use of personal leadership styles
- How to build trust and respect within the team
- Action-centred leadership
- The top 10 areas that destroy your ability to lead and manage
Remote & Hybrid Working Leadership
- The challenges with remote/hybrid teams
- How to check in and not check up
- Running virtual team meetings and one to ones
- Using ice breakers in your virtual meetings
- How to use webinars and virtual technology
- Communicating effectively with remote/hybrid working
- What motivates people at work?
- Motivation strategies and techniques to get the best out of people
- Motivating and managing difficult people
- Individual and team motivation
- How to motivate yourself and your teams
- Types of delegation
- The 7 ways to delegate work
- Effective delegation skills and strategies
- Analysing your own current workloads where you should delegate but you don’t
Time Management & Organisation
- How to set SMART objectives
- Understanding urgent v import tasks when prioritizing work
- Application of simple planning and monitoring techniques
- How to organise and schedule your own work and that of others
- How to analyse your current “time sapping” tasks and what to do about them
- Effective time management training strategies
- The importance of effective communication at work and the effects of poor communication
- Possible barriers to communication and methods to overcome them
- Communication skills vs Interpersonal skills
- Non-verbal communication – body language & tonality
- Effects of attitudes, perception and cultures on the interpretation of non-verbal messages
- The types of conflict that exist and specific strategies to handle each one
- Thomas-Kilmann conflict assessment – how do you currently manage conflict?
- How to identify conflict within the workplace and how to manage it
- Coaching techniques as appropriate to the workplace situation
- Range of learning styles, and how to select the optimum style for individuals
- How to use the GROW coaching model
- Relevant feedback techniques
- Methods to evaluate effectiveness of coaching
- Appropriate recording systems
- “In the moment” coaching
Giving & Receiving Feedback
- The importance of feedback skills to improve communication and performance
- Types of feedback and their relative values in communication (visual, written, oral, aural)
- Use of feedback to improve the performance of individuals in the workplace
- How to use feedback techniques (formal/informal; positive/negative; timescale; format)
- How to elicit feedback from others to improve own performance
- DAWA – Stages of receiving feedback
Holding Challenging Conversations
- What’s the definition of a challenging conversation?
- Examples and instances of each
- Planning for a challenging conversation
- Conversation structure and flow
- Phrases to use and to avoid
- Being objective but firm
- How to get the outcome you want
- The performance review process and how it works
- Setting SMART objectives & development plans
- How to set targets and plan them out
- How to run a performance review meeting
- Dealing with high achievers and under-performers
- Development plans and training methods
Leading Through Change
- Your role within the change management process
- Understanding the change model
- Kotter’s 8 steps to change
- Getting buy-in for change
- Managing the impacts of change
- Creating a change plan
Improving Your Emotional Intelligence
- What is low emotional intelligence, what is high EQ and why is it important?
- Learning your own triggers and reactions
- Understand how your emotions change under stress
- Understanding others and their emotions
- Improving the 5 aspects of emotional intelligence:
- Social Skills
- Characteristics of groups and teams – the differences, examples within the workplace
- Forming, storming, norming, performing (and mourning)
- How to identify team roles (eg Belbin) and the uses and implications for Managers
- Learn how to boost team morale
- Being a part of the “larger team”
Leading In A VUCA World
- What does VUCA mean?
- Understanding the VUCA environment
- Examples of VUCA
- How to counter, meet, react and fight VUCA
Here are some of our clients in the private and non-profit sector that we have delivered training to
COMMERCIAL CLIENT EXAMPLES
NON-PROFIT CLIENT EXAMPLES
Leadership Development Training FAQs
Can I select the content for my leadership development course?
I’d like a programme over 2 or 3 days. What’s the best format?
Is your leadership skills training accredited?
How can my managers have input into the content for the training?
Learn more about
our in-house training
and why choose MTD
as your provider
Get In Touch!
If you have got some training requirements in mind please call us on 0333 320 2883 or complete the online form below and tell us about what they are and we’ll get back to you with some options and costs.